Monster Energy Drinks Sued Over Teens Death
Monster Energy Drinks has been sued by the mother of 19-year old. Alex Morris has filed an Energy Drink lawsuit in Alameda County Superior Court in California against Monster Beverage Corp alleging that the boy died from consuming two Monster energy drinks daily for three years. Morris went into cardiac arrest on July 1, 2012 and died the same day.
Last year, the family of 14-year-old Alex Fournier filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Monster alleging the girl died of “cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.” Alex had purchased and consumed a 24-oz Monster Energy on December 16, 2011 at a store in the local mall. On December 17, Alex went back to the mall, purchased and consumed another Monster, and went into cardiac arrest a few hours later. She was placed in a medically induced coma in an effort to reduce the swelling around her brain for six days, and then died on December 23, 2011. (https://www.examiner.com/article/anais-fournier-lawsuit-monster-energy-drink-a-potentially-silent-killer)
Monster Energy Drinks
Last October, according to the Chicago Tribune, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration began an investigation in Monster Energy drinks and its association into five deaths and one non-fatal heart attack. Senators Dick Durbin and Richard Blumenthal later issued a request to the FDA to investigate how caffeine and other ingredients in energy drinks effects children and teens, and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman subpoenaed Monster, and two other energy drink makers for information on their marketing and advertising practices.
In May of this year, San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera sued Monster alleging the company is marketing the high-caffeine energy drinks to children as young as 6-years-old. The L.A. times reports that Monster sued Herrera earlier this year saying he targeted their company and threatened to stop the sales of the beverages. In Herrera’s lawsuit, he alleges the company encourages excessive consumption of the energy drinks and states that research shows that the drinks can cause elevated blood pressure, brain seizures and cardiac arrest. Herrera says that “As the industry’s worst offender, Monster Energy should reform its irresponsible and illegal marketing practices before they’re forced to by regulators or courts.” Monster claims that Herrera’s allegations “are demonstrably false” and that it will “vigorously defend against” the lawsuit.
About The Cochran Firm – Ohio
The Cochran Firm – Ohio is an experienced full service, personal injury law firm with offices in Cincinnati and Dayton who handle personal injury cases throughout all of Ohio. Founded over 40 years ago by famed attorney, Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr., The Cochran Firm – Ohio, has established itself as an experienced personal injury law firms in the United States and has been recognized for delivering successful results to their clients across a broad range of claims stemming from car / auto accidents, personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, premises liability, and product liability lawsuits. For over 40 years, The Cochran Firm – Ohio’s team of experienced lawyers continually fight for justice for all its clients. If you’ve been injured call Ohio’s experienced full service law firm “The Cochran Firm – Ohio” today at 513-381-HURT.